This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales

Nook e-Book, 193 pages
Release Date: September 17, 2013
Published by: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux (BYR)
Stand-alone
Source: Own
For fans of: Romance, Contemporary, Young Adult, Sparkly Covers, Realistic Fiction

     Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing. 

     Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When this book released I had just come off a summer where I read nothing BUT contemps, so by then I needed a break. So I put it off until now when I had time to cheat and not read so many review books. And now I'm upset that I waited. I wish I had read this way back when because this book is full of everything that I've ever wanted in a contemp. 
"'I had once thought that I wanted to get revenge by dying. But getting revenge by living, and living well, was much, much sweeter."
61% (Nook Book)
     In this book I met Elise, a normal, awkward girl. She wasn't part of the "in-crowd" so in turn, the "in-crowd" put her through hell. Elise was a victim of bullying from fourth grade until sophomore year in high school. And then, she decided that was enough. She decided then that the best thing for everyone would be ending her own life.
"'I'll pretend to be anyone or anything other than myself, but the problem is, no one is ever fooled." 
75% (Nook Book)
     What I liked about this book, is the fact that it features music, but people who aren't music junkies will still enjoy it. And that it features a huge issue like suicide, but it isn't JUST about her suicide. This is like a coming of age novel in the way that she finally finds where she fits in. Finally finds where she belongs. Everyone and anyone will love this book and Elise. She was such an amazing real character.
"'Why are you letting your issues get in the way of your talent?"
80% (Nook Book)
     I know I love a book based on the amount of emotions I have while reading it. And this one pulled out so many. When Elise was depressed, I was too. Teens can be so cruel to each other. And then when she got excoted about the DJ gig, I got excited too. I was so happy she had finally found somewhere that she fit in. And then when she felt a spark of something for Char, I felt that too. I knew she would like him when he took even the smallest interest in her. This book just felt so real.
"'Sometimes people think they know you. They know a few facts about you, and they they piece you together in a way that makes sense to them. And if you don't know yourself, very well, you might even believe that they are right. But the truth is, that isn't you. That isn't you at all."
86% (Nook Book)
     I think I connected to this book so well because I'm a huge music head. So as the song names came up, I listened to them as I read the scene and it anchored me even more in the story. Some of them I had already heard of and others I am new to, but all the same it helped me enjoy it a little bit more.
"'There are dangers everywhere, I wanted to explain to her. On the shool bus, in the cafeteria, at Start, inside if me. No parent- no one at all- can step in and vanquish every one of them."
89% (Nook Book)
     Just as the music made me closer to Elise, the music brought her closer to Pippa and Vicky. I was so happy that she found someone to be herself around and actually have a friend. And for it to be someone that actually understood a little of where she was coming from. Vicky had her own problems once upon a time, so her sharing her wisdom with Elise was something special. After reading this, I believe they found each other, to help each other.
"'People are who they are and, try as you might, you cannot make them be what you want them to be."
96 % (Nook Book)
     In a unique and witty voice, Sales attacks the important issue of suicide and all the ways that friendship, love, and even music can help to not send you over the edge.I'm already thinking of the thousand and one ways to incorporate this into a Beyond the Book post. Be on the lookout for one soon!
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , ,